Foreign policy is based on the Constitution, the Constitutional Act on the permanent neutrality of Turkmenistan, Foreign policy concept of Turkmenistan as a neutral state, other legislative acts. Turkmenistan's foreign policy is a logical extension of domestic policy and is determined by the international legal status of permanent neutrality, recognized by the United Nations.
The main objectives of Turkmenistan's foreign policy are:
- The preservation and strengthening of the state sovereignty of Turkmenistan, increase its role and importance in the international system;
- The creation of favorable foreign political conditions for the internal development of the state;
- Upholding and implementation of the national interests of Turkmenistan by all forms existing in the international practice of diplomatic contacts;
- Ensuring security of Turkmenistan by political, diplomatic means;
- Development of constructive mutually beneficial cooperation with all international partners on the basis of equality and mutual respect;
- Ensuring full compliance of Turkmenistan's foreign policy actions with international law and the UN Charter.